Click for Ottawa, Ontario Forecast

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mother's Home Made Bread

Mother baked bread every week when I was little and because we were five children she always made a lot. When I first got married I asked her for the recipe and she said "hmmmm...let's see if I can write it down." She always baked from memory and did not often pull out the Danish cookbook she had.

Here is what I have!

1. In a big big bowl:

  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar

2. In another bowl heat in microwave (or as she did it in a pan on the stove) until lukewarm:

  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup margerine

3. Treat 2 packages of yeast according to their package instructions

4. Put 2 and 3 up into 1 and knead, cleaning hands with flour and adding flour if it seems too wet...

Allow to rise in a warm dry place with a tea towel draped loosely over the bowl. Knead again. Form into buns or place in bread forms and allow to rise again.

Whisk an egg and brush over bread just before baking at 325 F . Checking to see when the bread sounds hollow when you tap it. If I remember right then at least 30 minutes...I will make this in September and come back to tell you how long to bake it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment